July Employment Snapshot for Baton Rouge, LA
Unemployment moves down to 9.7% with the biggest shift in restaurants & hotels gaining 2,200 roles.
Total employment in the Baton Rouge, LA market rose by 7,389 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased by -4.8% to 9.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by -0.9% over the this time to 10.2%.
- Baton Rouge, LA unemployment rate is -0.6% below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 4.2% above the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time which is a negative.
- Average employee wages grew in July by 5.2%, and are plus 0.5% compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.2%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 69,500; -400
- Transportation & Utilities: 67,800; +1,000
- Education & Healthcare: 50,000; +800
- Business Services: 46,600; +700
- Construction, Mining: 43,800; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 30,900; +2,200
- Manufacturing: 28,600; no change
- Financial Services: 18,900; no change
- Other Jobs: 16,300; +200
- IT & Development: 4,300; no change